The Bucket List

By mfretes93

Unfortunately, the clock is ticking down on my time in Rio de Janeiro. As of right now, I've got just under two weeks left in the cidade maravilhosa, which means that I've been spending a lot of time thinking: about the friendships I've made, about the experiences I've had, about how I've grown and changed as a person, generally just about a lot of sappy stuff.

But I've also realized one thing: short as it may be, two weeks is still precious, precious time, which means I shouldn't be wasting it thinking about the past or being nervous about the future. Instead, I should be trying to make the best out of the little time I have left.

So what's the best way to go about that? With a bucket list, obviously.

The idea of a bucket list might seem inherently depressing, but I've found that it will allow me to spend my last few weeks in Rio in the best way that I can. It's a comprehensive list of all the sights I still need to see, all the neighborhoods I still need to visit, all the cultural events I still need to attend. It's a list of all the touristy things I still need to do, all of the typically "Brazilian" things I still need to try out. And of course, it also includes things I still need to buy, all the food I still need to eat, and the (cheap) restaurants I still need to visit.

If it seems like a lot, it's because it is. But now, instead of feeling sad about my dwindling time, I'm excited and ready. I'm making goals for everyday: today I'll do this, tomorrow I'll try that. And now, instead of thinking about how much I'm gonna miss this city, I'm thinking about all the great things I'm going to do during my last two weeks.

See, it's important, when your study abroad time is coming to a close, to sit back and think about your experience as a whole. It can be easy, during this time, to feel sad. After all, you're gonna miss your friends. You're going to miss your host country, miss all the people you'e met. And it can be easy to get scared of what lies ahead: readjusting to American society, going back to school for the first time in months. And of course, it can also be easy to suddenly get excited to see the friends and family you've missed during your semester abroad.

But getting caught up in those feelings means that your last few days are not being spent to their fullest. And when you actually do leave, you'll think about everything that could've been.

A bucket list lets you have all of that on paper. But more than that, it gets your mind off of all the emotions you can be feeling towards the end of your semester. Instead of dwelling on the faraway past or the faraway future, you have concrete plans for the present, things to occupy your mind. Plus, even if you don't get to finish everything--and let's be real, it's almost impossible to do everything you want to do when you're studying abroad--you'll have less regrets when you finally hop on your plane back to America.

As for my bucket list, it includes such things as: buying a pair of havaianas, visiting secret beaches in Barra da Tijuca, seeing a play at the Teatro Municipal, visiting museums, and of course, going up Corcovado Mountain to see the world-famous Christ the Redeemer statue.

Yes, I saved the best for last. What's on yours?

TWEET: I made my bucket list. Are you ready to make yours? #GWU #GWAbroad