Food for Thought

By mtumasz

So here I am, chilling in New Zealand, STARVING. Food here is very expensive, and the University of Auckland doesn't have a nice dining plan for its students; you have to fend for yourself. It's a pretty rough life when you're a poor college student, spending all your money on trips and adventures, and forgetting you have to go grocery shopping.

I'm a very healthy eater, and not a big fan of sweets. Junk food and fast food tend to be a lot cheaper than healthy options when buying food. In this post, I am going to offer advice to people in foreign countries, trying to eat clean while also on a budget.

Fruit and Veges (NZ term for vegetables) from supermarkets can be quite pricey, especially if they're not in season. I've found that going to farmers' markets, or there is an Asian grocery store by my apartment, sell produce in season really cheap. So when trying to find fruits and veggies, don't be afraid to look other places besides the supermarket, especially if you're in a country known for specific kinds of produce!

Grocery stores always have things on sale, and great deals going on. So try something new! Even if it's not your favorite brand, try out a new flavor or new type. I've gotten a different kind of hummus every time I've gone grocery shopping here and have not been disappointed once.

Along those lines, find out when your supermarket starts their deals for the week. My store starts new sales every Tuesday morning.

For those who liked baked goods: If your supermarket is open late, or even 24 hours, find out when the bakery reduces the prices on the food items made from that day. Usually after 10 or 11pm at the 24-hour supermarkets, they reduce the prices on all the items from that day, and as long as you eat them within a reasonable time, they won't get stale.

If you're shopping for just yourself, it can be hard to finish food before it goes bad. So if you're buying a lot of greens or fruits, share! Cook dinner with a group of your friends during the week, and all provide an ingredient; this way, you aren't wasting food and you get to be social!

Hope this post was informative. I am now very hungry from talking about food for so long, so time for a snack!

Happy eating!

Merideth