Only in BA: Midterm Preparation Fail

By jtmanley

Buenos Aires CabildoThe week of June 11 will be a busy one. I will take for two midterms, one in my Contemporary Political History class and another in my Argentine History I class. It's the latter exam that I am studying long hours for. Taught by two great professors, this class meets on Tuesdays from 8.30 am to 10.30 am and on Fridays from 7.45 am to 11.00 am. Yes, my class is 3 hours and 15 minutes on Friday mornings! In the past few months we have covered the major political, social, and military developments of what is now Argentina, from the creation of the Viceroyalty of the Rio de la Plata in the 18th century to the Argentine War of Independence and Civil Wars in the 19th century.

Because this class meets for 6 hours a week, I have had many opportunities to fill my notebook up with important names, dates, ideas, and events, all of which connect to one another. This means that the 70 question multiple-choice exam is going to bring back some class memories to say the least. So what was one way that I tried to prepared for the exam? I tried going to the Buenos Aires Cabildo, the site where the May Revolution of 1810 occurred that now houses a museum focused on much of the topics that will be on my exam. But as is common in Buenos Aires, something had to go wrong. When I got to the Cabildo, there was a printed page saying that the Cabildo was closed due to electrical problems!

My exam is on Friday, so I still have a few days to possibly supplement my in-house studying with the Cabildo's review of events. If that does not happen, it will not be the end of the world. One thing is for sure though. I will have to celebrate after that midterm is over.