Paris don’t let me leave you this way

By unprofoundobservations

Goodbye ParisIn three days I will be leaving France much as I arrived: colder than I would have liked, a little tired and overwhelmed, and with almost no comprehension of how wonderful this city can be. Although the weather has remained fairly foul and I never got the springtime in Paris that I've waited so long for, the city has always been beautiful. I cannot believe that 5 months have passed so quickly and it seems that there's still so much left to do. Like all Parisians tell me: il faut que je revienne, but who can say when I'll next have the opportunity to visit Paris? The sad truth of traveling is that one needs both time and money, and you rarely ever have the two to spare at once. I'm confident that I'll make it back one day, though I could never say where to exactly or under what circumstances. I have loved my time in Paris, but every day here makes me realize how difficult it is to come to know a place. Paris is classically marvelous and will always be a home, but the world is full of strange cities with infinite home-potential and I fully intend to explore the possibilities. Though I still don't think I completely understand Paris, I appreciate it.

Traveling really does broaden the mind, and with each new experience I appreciate the places I have been able to live in. I've been incredibly fortunate to have this entire experience, but I simply can't imagine it coming to an end so quickly. I'm sure it's a study abroad cliche, but I feel that there's so much I still have to do and not nearly enough time to come to grips with the fact that I'm leaving. Although I will be able to eat my weight in pastry and cheese back in the states, it's hardly the same (and not nearly as acceptable). There will be no more late-night walks on the Seine, or casual strolls through some of Europe's finest museums, or 0,60 cent baguettes that can be eaten between classes as a perfectly reasonable lunch. I don't know how one prepares for reverse culture-shock, but I don't look forward to the process and I can only imagine how quickly the next few days will go by.

Despite some of our setbacks and differences, Paris and I are dear friends and I'll have to make sure I come back for her. Maybe one day the sun will consent to shine on the city while I'm here, but until that day I'll just have to keep practicing my speaking (and somehow not completely lose my accent) and work on perfecting scarf-over-the-shoulder-flip. Both skills are difficult yet essential for speaking any measure of time in France. As Gene Kelley says, Paris is "too real and beautiful to ever let you forget anything" and I completely agree. The panoramas and monuments are such cliches because no matter how many times you see them, you can't help but get the little thrill of recognition that you're in one of the most distinct cities in the world. It's a beautiful skyline and difficult to forget, and just as real as all the fairy tales and romanticized stereotypes suggest.