Eye Opening and Life Changing

By aubreygunnels

It’s over. Two words that are having trouble sinking in. I’m officially home.

Its hard to imagine summing up this experience in one post. It’s also hard to imagine this being my last blog post.

I’m currently wearing shorts, holding a pair of car keys, listening to country music, and sitting in a neighborhood Starbucks. Welcome to the burbs.

Where to start?

The question I have already gotten 5 times “what was my favorite part?”

The people. The people you meet abroad are people are where you learn the most from while abroad. The people from the states, the people in your classes, the people you meet traveling, and everyone in between. You can learn so much and grow so much from growing with people that have seen cultures from across the world, speak multiple languages, and love people from all different back grounds. The most eye opening part of study was meeting people with such open minds. The world is bigger than the United States and it was awesome meeting people that understood that and taught me that.

Best Goodies in Belgium

The fresh bread. I loved the fresh bread in Brussels and Europe in general. You can’t beat the taste and heaven associated with fresh bread.

Recommending Going Abroad

I can’t think of any excuse to not go abroad. I can’t fathom the regret I would have for not going abroad. It was  the most eye opening life changing experience I have ever had to honor to be a part of. I would question a college student’s judgment if they chose not to go abroad. Specifically at GW because it is cheaper to go abroad than live in DC. I highly recommend to and will take any opportunity to convince you to do so.

Favorite Place I Went

Nice and Tunis. Nice was beautiful. It wasn’t a cliché place to travel and we went during the off season so it was reasonably priced. I would 100% recommend going to Nice. Tunis is so close to Europe and awesome place to go it you want to get away from Europe. It was beautiful and by far the most unique places I have ever been.

Regrets

I regret not going to Venice, skiing in the Alps and Barcelona. I guess if you do everything then you have no reason to go back. I hope Venice doesn’t sink before I get a chance to go back. I heard amazing things about all the places listed above so I encourage to visit them.

Brussels

I love the city. It was the perfect place to study abroad. It was a place you live not a place you travel. The people SO diverse. They come form across the globe and have a county dynamic that I’m very thankful to learn about and appreciate.

Excited to go back to DC?

YES. Even though I  loved abroad, I still LOVE DC, and I’m excited to go back. They know how to walk on the side walk, you can walk everywhere instead of public transportation or taxi, and everyone talks louder than a whisper.

Coming Home

It is weird to be home. I got home yesterday and getting used to the fact Brussels is over is an interesting concept. I think the hardest part is that no ones realizes how different it is for you. You go from an entirely different world for 5 months. That’s a long time to get used to one life style and changing it so drastically so quickly has been hard to get used to. Its like coming home from college after your freshmen year, an adjustment that takes time to get used it. I’m not depressed yet. I think the secret is being excited your home not being sad you left. This is the true test of living in the moment not in the past. Wish me luck.

Feel free to ask me any questions! I would to answer them. Cheers!

Aubrey