Market Day

By Adar

A hallmark of the Middle East is the outdoor food market. Yesterday afternoon, our group of newly-arrived international students got on a chartered bus and toured a bit of our new city. We experienced stunning views of the Bahai Gardens, sloping narrow streets driving down the mountain, and the natural beauty of Haifa mixed with historical quiet neighborhoods. But the part of our trip that was really memorable for me was the market. 

It's loud, it's crowded. The smell of grilled meats and fresh strawberries just barely overpowers that of raw fish and dirty sidewalks. As we made our way through the market, vendors called out what they had. "Tootim" (strawberries) "Dagim Bri'im" (fresh fish) "Yerakot Naimot" (excellent vegetables). Some of the groceries were so irresistible, particular the fruit and the olives. I asked to taste one stand's black olives and he gave me a dolma as well. I was sold. I ended up getting a ton of groceries, and am still shocked by how ridiculously cheap everything was.

Being in an open air market like that was something so very cultural that I couldn't help but have fun. Vendors spoke Hebrew, Arabic, Russian and Ethiopian. Some even tried to get us to buy their food by flirting with us. There was Sephardic music playing in the background and people bargaining for food right and left. Certainly no Dupont Farmers Market.

One of my favorite parts about Israel is the food. The spices are unbeatable and really such a mesh of cultures. Food is so heavily influenced by former Soviet and Eastern Europeans, neighbors to the north like Lebanon, to the south like Tunisian and Moroccan, and to the East. Going to a Middle Eastern food market is such an incredible blend of cultures and smells; I look forward to going again.