Hello India!

By shivaniinsingapore

Finals are over! I left Singapore last week, on the 3rd of December. It was a rather difficult process saying bye to all the new friends I made while studying abroad. I will miss each and every one of them greatly and hope I will be able to meet them either in their home countries or in the US sometime in the future. The other difficult part of wrapping up my study abroad process was packing- I did not realize how many things I managed to accumulate over the semester! Although I will be returning to NUS in January, I had to pack up my whole room and place things in storage because of their housing policies.

I left Singapore to come to India. So far, India has been wonderful! I am staying with some relatives. The past week has been filled with meeting other relatives and family friends. We also took a mini-trip to Rajasthan, which was absolutely beautiful. The picture in this post is from a lake we drove past. I will be in India until January 12th, which is when I make my return to Singapore. During this upcoming month, I will be traveling around India a bit more. I also have the opportunity to shadow a couple of doctors, which definitely will be interesting for me.

I will miss my host country a lot during this break; particularly the ease of traveling within the country and the safety. I took both of those things for granted while I was there. It is extremely unsafe for me to travel alone where I am in India; the roads do not have street signs and everything is written in a language that I cannot speak or write. Thus, if I get lost then it will be a rather difficult process to find my way back home. Singapore, on the other hand, was extremely safe. I was able to stay out late without having to worry about anything, and was always able to obtain directions from anyone if I was lost. The public transit system of Singapore also was easy to navigate and I could get anywhere within the country without any problems.

While I will miss Singapore greatly, I look forward to my stay in India!