Updates from Jordan- Protests and Pronouns!

By ecirrincione

I have decided to extend my stay in Jordan to a year long stay; Jordan truly has become like home for me. I am incredibly connected to the people and Amman, I couldn't imagine leaving.

I am still volunteering at the Mubarrat Um El Hossain, and we are entering our seventh week of classes! I am beginning to really feel connected to the girls. They are always so eager to learn and ready to absorb new information. I try and keep the class light because in my opinion, no one wants to learn when they are bored! I hope I am having a positive impact on them. I will really miss them at the culmination of this volunteering experience. The staff at the Mubarrat has also been incredibly helpful. I feel like I can talk with them about anything. I am really grateful I found this experience.

Some of the challenges I have faced there has mainly revolved around the transportation issue. Between the Mubarrat and my house, it is around 30 minutes in a car. That might not seem like a lot in DC time, but remember- no metros in Amman! There are buses and taxis, but everything seems so much more harder to reach in Amman than in DC. It can take me around two hours to get home. That has been the most exhausting aspect of the experience. I would urge anyone who is volunteering abroad to take in transportation issues because it can't be ignored.

Classes at the University of Jordan are going well, I am finished with all my midterms and now just gearing up for the finals! Crazy to realize how fast this went! After finals, I plan to return to the USA for a short break before coming back to Jordan.

In other news, Jordan has been facing some protests recently due to the government's decision to raise fuel prices. It's a little unpredictable right now, but we are all hoping for the best. In addition to the situation in Gaza, everything is a little touch and go. Such is life in the Middle East!