Experiencing an Election from Abroad

By littlemisadventures

In between conjugating verbs and raging at the complicated process that is absentee voting, I’ve been excitedly awaiting the U.S. election. Before I left the States, I remember feeling disappointed that I would be out of D.C. at this time. Now that I’m here, though, I don’t mind it at all; being abroad in an election year gives one a unique point of view on the whole thing. Of course, all the American students discuss the election regularly, but we aren’t doing this in a bubble. It doesn’t feel like we’re distant from the discourse that surrounds it, because Egypt is following the debates and the polls closely too. The outcome of this election will have worldwide effects, so it isn’t surprising that people around the world are invested in it.

Egyptians love listening almost as much as they love talking. People whom you barely know will immediately want to hear your personal opinions on Morsi, the Muslim Brotherhood, Muslim-Copt relations, and all things political. This can be tricky because you never know who is asking the questions, so you have to be diplomatic. It’s always a good idea, after stating your opinions, to conclude with the question, “What do you think?” They are also very interested in getting an American perspective on our election process and our candidates.

People here seem to support Obama more than Romney because of their respective policies and attitudes toward the Middle East. They are put off by how Romney talks about the Middle East as a region; one man told me, “He only sees our countries as a potential threat.” They also think Obama is more understanding towards Islam and Islamic governments.

During Eid al Adha, I traveled to Upper Egypt. Luxor, Edfu, and Aswan are very rural and relatively sparsely populated, and feel much more isolated than Cairo. However, farmers and their families are still keeping up with the news. Whenever someone asked me where I was from and I answered, “Amreeka,” the most common response was “Obama!” and a thumbs-up. Back in Cairo, a woman recently told me how lucky we are to have elections every four years. So, whomever you’re voting for this week, remember not to take our rights for granted. We’re lucky to have them.