Life as a Singaporean Student

By shivaniinsingapore

My classmates at NUS are fairly different than my classmates back home...their typical lives differ vastly than what I am used to in many ways.

The first difference I noticed was that these students appear to study MUCH more than what I am used to. The students in some of my classes can be seen at the library reading and sometimes re-reading the required texts/articles. When asked why they re-read assigned readings, I was told something interesting. I was told that since these classes are based on a bell-curve, only a couple of students can obtain the top mark of an A+. Thus, a lot of the students spend countless hours trying to practice memorizing the readings and create their own conclusions in hopes of being able to obtain a great grade. I, however, have never re-read a textbook unless I was studying for an exam and did not understand some of the material. I noticed that some of the students are used to memorizing texts rather than applying and understanding the significance behind some of the readings. After discussion with some local students, I found out that they have been raised to memorize. Their college entrance exams, called the A-Levels, apparently require some level of memorization. One local student mentioned that having a great memory would secure a very good grade on the exam. Overall, there are far fewer essays/assignments in my classes here than back home, but the weekly discussions in tutorials or in classes require great understanding of the readings.

The next difference is that a lot of the local students go home on weekends since their homes are no more than an hour or so bus ride away. I found out that it is fairly common practice for students to go home on weekends, which is why basically all of the canteens are closed on weekends. On the same note, in order to stay in a residence hall on campus if you are a local student, you must participate in extracurricular activities. One residence hall had a minimum requirement of four activities. I am amazed at how some of these students can balance all of these activities in addition to five or six courses (~20-24 hours; each module is worth 4 hours for the most part), and I wish to learn how they manage their time! I believe back home, I would  take 17 hours (so about 5 or 6 classes) and partake in extra curriculars; however, I would only commit to one or two activities and still found myself with barely enough time.

In terms of relaxing, I found that a lot of students here are similar to students back home. Some students like to stay in on weekends and read/watch TV, others like to go shopping (many Singaporeans joke that the two ways to pass time here are by shopping and eating), and finally, some students like to go to clubs and bars with friends. Many students also go to the movies on weekdays because of the fact that they get student discounts on weekdays.
The students at NUS are also very friendly and for the most part, are willing to help with anything. Were it not for my local friends, I don't think I would've adjusted as quickly as I did!