Hello from Amman!

By ecirrincione

Hello everyone! My name is Elizabeth Cione and I am currently spending the fall semester abroad in Amman, Jordan. I am participating in the Language and Culture program at CIEE, who hosts various programs all over the world. I have chosen to study abroad in Jordan specifically with CIEE for several reasons. I am majoring in Middle East studies at the Elliott school; therefore it is only fitting that I will be studying in the Middle East. There were several Middle Eastern countries offered, but I chose Jordan because it is an emerging Middle Eastern power that still holds true to its traditions and cultures. I was searching for a country that would welcome me as a foreigner, but would also have a lot to teach me about the rest of the world. Out of all of the programs, the Jordan program seemed to be the best match for me because of the focus on the language that was essential to learn. In addition to the language, the CIEE program focused strongly on providing a great cultural immersion, which was also very important to me.

I will be blogging for GWU's Commitment to Community blog, which focuses on volunteer work and giving back to the community that has welcomed us in! While in Jordan, I hope to take part in several volunteer programs. As I have just arrived on Sunday, I am still working with CIEE to find a volunteer opportunity. However I plan to try and find an organization that focuses in refugee affairs, as Jordan has a significant Palestinian and now Syrian refugee population. In addition to working with refugees, I hope to find the chance to work with children and women’s issues in Amman and in the larger Middle East itself. Stay tuned!