Valpo Surf Project

By bbuck92

September 4th: Discuss what study abroad program you are attending and why, what type of volunteer work/research you plan to do abroad

Brendan Buckland
About eight years ago, on an impulse I hardly even remember anymore, I found myself on a rented surfboard in Maine. While my mother nervously watched from the shore, I floated in whitewater surf giddily trying to recreate what I had seen on posters and movies. Of course, my attempts to surf with ease were in vain and I flopped around in the waves endangering myself far more than I was able to impress any onlookers. I collapsed after several hours when the sun had set with sore limbs and rashes which made it uncomfortable to walk. When my mother approached me to assess the damage I begged for a second day. All damage aside, I was hooked.

Such was my indoctrination into the world of surf. While my passion continued for several summers, a busy high school schedule and lack of car, along with a move to Washington DC for college eventually ended my brief affair with surfing.

Now, in Chile, with years out of practice I find myself on a board again. My study abroad program has brought me to Santiago to study and live with a Chilean family, and my volunteer internship has brought me to a city called Valparaiso. While Valparaiso or "Valpo" is a coastal city in Chile, its port was developed for industrial purposes, tucked into the rising hills of the city. As a consequence,  some of the children of the "cerros" or hills have little exposure to the sandy beaches surrounding Valpo as well as a limited connection to, and understanding of the ocean. As a response to this disconnect, the Valpo Surf Project was founded by three gringos and a Chilean, all of whom wished to make the sport of surfing more accessible to the children of Valparaiso. Several years later, along with English classes and photography classes, the VSP offers a surfing lessons to the children of Cerro Mariposa. Additionally, through the medium of surfing and beach cleans, the projects emphasizes the importance of environmental stewardship in it's students. The organization fit well with my studies in international affairs concentrating both in Latin America and international environmental resources, while also providing me with the opportunity to practice my Spanish with the quick speaking children.  As an intern, starting in June, I have been responsible for co-teaching classes, organizing materials, assisting in writing organization bylaws, as well as building infrastructure to support the program.

Currently, through the University of Chile, I am looking for a partnering professor to guide my research project for credit this semester. While a professor is not yet selected, I hope to work with someone in the Geography department who specializes in urban development. I intend to research the development of Valpo's port as well as the growth of the city itself. While the project is in its earliest iteration, with room to grow, I hope to pick up the project and have freedom to take it in a new direction as I learn more about urban development, urban citizenry, environmental stewardship, and the role of non-governmental organizations.

Valparaíso Surf ProjectI hope my work not only academically enriches my time abroad, but also contributes in a useful way to the improvement of the VSP.

For more information:
http://www.valposurfproject.com/

or "like" at http://www.facebook.com/valposurfproject