A Message from New Interim Dean Ilana Feldman

Dear Elliott School Community,

When I agreed to serve the Elliott School as Vice Dean, I could not have anticipated that a year later I would be taking on the role of Interim Dean—as the School, the University, and the world grapple with the effects of a global pandemic. I am honored to have the opportunity to serve our Elliott School community at this challenging time. 

I am consistently impressed with the skill of all the faculty and staff committed to support the educational, research, and public policy mission of the Elliott School. Your dedication to excellence gives me the confidence to know that together, we can navigate this difficult time. I will do everything I can to support you and all the members of our community.

Dean Brigety’s leadership over the past five years has left a strong legacy.  As a result of his focus on inclusive excellence, we have an increasingly diverse faculty and deepened support for students. We have a strengthened commitment to putting ethics at the center of international affairs education. Our faculty are engaging in research that tackles the most pressing issues of our time. 

As the coronavirus pandemic hit us in March, everyone pivoted with remarkable speed—adjusting to learning and teaching in new online modes, hosting and participating in virtual academic events, and doing the work to keep the school operating optimally in sub-optimal times. That people managed this transition so well should not cause us to minimize how difficult it has been. 

In addition to coping with the burdens of our new environment, we miss each other. We miss conversations in the hallway, the intensity of the seminar room, the energy we get from engaging with each other. Our greatest strength is in our community. Together we are more resilient. And together we are meeting the challenge.

My goals for the Elliott School during the period I am interim dean are first, to carry forward the good work that has been put into motion over the past few years. Second, to ensure that we emerge from the financial challenges that lie ahead, a stronger and more vibrant school of international affairs, and third, maintaining our commitment to build a more diverse, welcoming and inclusive learning community.

I look forward to working with you all for the benefit of our school and its mission to develop the next generation of global leaders.

Stay safe and well. I look forward to seeing you in the fall!

Ilana Feldman,
Interim Dean, Elliott School of International Affairs