Alumni Profile: Giuliana Macaluso, MPS 2022

Giuliana Macaluso is an outstanding graduate of the MPS in Publishing program, College of Professional Studies, George Washington University, and recipient of the 2022 CPS Graduate Distinguished Scholar Award. In this Alumni Profile, we hear from Giuliana about the impact of the MPS in Publishing program on her career.

For me, the MPS in Publishing program was an exercise in understanding the phrase “There’s no time like the present.” As I considered applying for this program, I was concerned it “wasn’t the right time”—we were in the middle of the strictest period of lockdown, I was working full time, I had several personal responsibilities, etc. However, once I took the first step and applied for the program, I immediately felt more confident that there was never going to be an ideal time to pursue a graduate degree; I simply needed to take the plunge. Now, with the program completed, I am so glad and proud that I set aside my hesitations and my hope for “the perfect time”; this program has been a fantastic experience, and I recommend it highly regardless of career stage or level of experience.

Giuliana Macaluso, MPS in Publishing 2022 Graduate
Giuliana Macaluso, MPS

What is the most rewarding aspect of the MPS in Publishing program?

The most rewarding aspect of the MPS in Publishing program is the chance to network with both experienced and early-career publishing professionals. Many courses in the program include interviews and guest lectures by respected publishing professionals whose advice is instrumental in planning for and executing next steps in one’s career. In addition, the program offers opportunities to make valuable professional connections with classmates with a range of experiences and perspectives that enrich classroom interactions. As a graduating student, I look back fondly on the friendships I have made with my classmates during the two years of the program, and I look forward to seeing how my fellow cohort members make an impact on the publishing industry in the future.

What is the most challenging aspect of the MPS in Publishing program?

The most challenging aspect of the MPS in Publishing program is choosing between the array of electives. This program offers a range of electives in editorial, business, technology, and more, and deciding which electives would be the most beneficial for one’s future career is difficult! George Washington University’s MPS in Publishing program offers advising services to help each student choose courses that best meet their professional goals, and I highly recommend taking advantage of these opportunities. I am pleased with my choices and feel that both the core classes and the electives I selected will be major assets as I progress in my career.

What are some of the reasons you decided to pursue the MPS in Publishing degree? Why did you choose GW specifically?

I decided to pursue the MPS in Publishing program because I have always been interested in practical applications of language and communication, and I am especially interested in scholarly publishing. This program covers each of these aspects—and more. The very high caliber of the teaching faculty in this program is a major asset to the learning process, and each professor is an expert in their field.

The MPS in Publishing program at GW is also one of the only publishing graduate programs in the country, offering a unique, practical experience for aspiring and veteran publishing professionals alike. GW also offers the MPS online, which afforded me the flexibility I needed to complete the program while working full time.

What advice would you give to new or prospective students to the MPS in Publishing program?

This is a program that recognizes effort, and although it is designed to be flexible, students who gain the most from this program are those who put the most effort into their assignments and projects. I highly recommend engaging fully with the course material, including supplemental resources, lectures, and readings. You get out of the program what you put into it.

I’d also advise incoming students to meet with a GW student success coach early in the program to determine how to organize their schedule for the duration of the program. It’s important to decide early on when you hope to graduate so that you can plan your course schedule accordingly, and the GW advisory staff are a major resource for ensuring you are maximizing your time and keeping your target graduation date in mind from the get-go.

Who has made the biggest impact on you during your time at GW?

John Warren, the director of the MPS in Publishing program, has made the biggest impact on me during my time at GW. John consistently offers his individualized career advice and guidance to each student in the program and is consistently available for one-on-one meetings. John has a wealth of experience in a variety of publishing outlets and uses his experience to tailor his advice for each student’s aspirations. John has made it clear to graduating students that he will continue to be a mentor as we progress in our professional careers, and I value this continued willingness to support alumni.

To incoming students, I highly recommend meeting with John regularly as well as making opportunities to meet with your other professors, especially those whose career paths align with your interests and goals. The publishing industry is highly network driven, and your professors want to get to know you—don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and schedule a time to chat!

How are you using what you learned in your publishing courses in your day-to-day work?

The MPS in Publishing program has taught me invaluable skills in time management, which I apply daily in my professional career. Balancing a full-time career with part-time pursuit of a graduate degree is challenging, but my capacity for prioritizing and perseverance has been strengthened as a result.

What have you found to be the value of the MPS in Publishing degree, and how are you using what you learned, as a rising publishing professional? 

The MPS in Publishing degree taught me the value of a professional network. As I advanced through the program, I made every effort to meet individually with professors to learn more about their career paths. Because there are dozens of students in each cohort, it’s extremely beneficial to take (or make!) opportunities to meet with professors to gain advice to apply to your future. In addition, your fellow classmates also present a networking opportunity—get to know them!

Photo of Giuliana Macaluso, MPS, as she receives the CPS Graduate Distinguished Scholar Award from John W. Warren at CPS Commence
Giuliana Macaluso, MPS, Receives the CPS Graduate Distinguished Scholar Award, CPS Commencement 2022

Giuliana Macaluso on LinkedIn.