MALE TUTOR/COUNSELING POSITIONS WITH THE Regional Math/Science Center - Frostburg State University
Summer Program 2018
The Upward Bound Regional Math Science Center (RMSC) at Frostburg State University seeks male tutor/ counselors for a summer program designed to encourage and motivate qualified high school students to pursue post-secondary education and to develop skills and attitudes essential for success beyond high school.
• These are residential positions and Tutor Counselors (TCs) are responsible for supervising program participants (high school students) in the male residence halls and during all RMSC sponsored activities.
• Tutor Counselors are also an integral part of the student’s academic experience as TCs attend academic classes with the students and assist them as they complete their scientific investigations.
• TCs also chaperon field trips; plan & lead recreational activities; and create, maintain & enforce a safe, positive & productive residential hall living environment.
• Includes one week of staff training and the multi-week summer program with students.
POSITIONS AVAILABLE, TENTATIVE DATES, and SALARY
(All residential positions include room, board, and all field trip expenses paid by the RMSC.)
• 2-Week TC June 17 – June 30, 2018 $1,170
• 3-Week TC June 17 – July 5, 2018 $1,650
• 5-Week TC June 17 – July 20, 2018 $2,700
• One Year Undergraduate Experience
• Comfortable Working Out Of Doors (some of our science projects include field work)
• Excellent Interpersonal & Communication Skills
• Ability To Relate To Diverse University Population
• Evidence Of Success In Course Work In Science, Math or Writing
• Minimum GPA of 2.75
• Experience Supervising Students In Residential Setting
• Tutoring Or Teaching In Math, Science Or Writing
• Experience As Camp Counselor
• Valid Driver's License
• Experience With Disadvantaged Youth
• Participated In TRIO Or Similar Program.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: www.frostburg.edu/clife/mscenter or 1-800-646-6004
TO APPLY: Send a letter of interest; resume; copy of transcripts; and names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references to:
Regional Math/Science Center RMSC@frostburg.edu
101 Braddock Road OR If applying via email please indicate position
Frostburg State University and your name in the subject line:
Frostburg, MD 21532 ex: TC – Jim Smith
DEADLINE: Applications are reviewed as they are received, and interviews will begin in January and continue until all positions are filled. You are encouraged to submit your application early for consideration for these positions.
About the Regional Math/Science Center
The FSU Regional Math/Science Center is a federally funded Department of Education Upward Bound program designed to help low-income, potential first generation college students achieve their goals of attaining college degrees, specifically in the fields of math and science. Participants in the program attend a multi-week summer session on the campus of FSU where they are engaged in a scientific research project. The RMSC strives to develop exciting hands-on projects that are relevant to modern life.
While working on these projects the practical use of the scientific method is emphasized. Students must develop testable hypotheses, help design the study, collect the data needed, analyze the data, draw conclusions based on the data collected and finally present their study in both oral and written form. Students learn about peer review as they present their study progress each week to the other students in the program. They also learn to use the computer for data analysis, for data processing their formal report, and for developing a power point presentation that is presented to a panel of scientists and an audience of parents, university and public officials.
While at FSU students also participate in a variety of activities designed to promote strong study skills and positive social behaviors, as well as activities that provide recreational and cultural experiences.
FSU Is An AA/EOE. Appropriate Auxiliary Aids & Services For Qualified Individuals W/Disability Will Be Provided Upon Request. Please Notify In Advance. WWW.FROSTBURG.EDU