Letters of Recommendation

Letter of Recommendation Policy

Dear General Chemistry Students:

Over the next few years, it is likely that several of you will ask me to provide a letter of recommendation for pursuit of things like graduate/medical school, summer internships, Teach for America, etc. I am happy to be a part of this effort and look forward to helping in any way I can.

Please allow me to make a few suggestions as to how to make the most out of our efforts in this process.

1. Let me get to know you. The best way to do this is to come to office hours as frequently as you can. As I mention several times in class, office hours are flexible and I am happy to make appointments for anyone who cannot make the regularly scheduled time. Each year without fail, I get an e-mail from a former student that begins with: "Dear Professor Cahill- I am sure you don't remember me, but I was a student in your Chem 11 course….." If your inquiry begins with that line, please do not consider me to be a good reference. I actually do remember most of the people I interact with, but if the only thing I know about you is what grade you received in Chem 1111, then I cannot write a strong letter.
  2. Please provide as many details as possible about the program to which you are applying. This includes websites, forms and DEADLINES. Many of you will be applying to several locations at once. If this is the case, a spreadsheet or list with deadlines, links, addresses and any other comments is most useful. Click here for an example. Despite your best intentions, giving me stamped, addressed envelopes is really not helpful. I need ammunition for the letter, not an envelope. That said, how about a few reasons why you are interested in a specific program? The more I know, the better the letter I can write. 
  3. Be prepared for a mini-interview where we get together to discuss the program to which you are applying. I can write a much better letter if I understand your motivations.
  4. Have a resume and/or transcript at the ready. I may ask for drafts of application essays or the like- also to help understand motivations and to cite content therein (if appropriate).
  5. I need to know the outcome of your application. I keep records of success rates to certain programs etc. This helps me write better letters in the future- both for you and future students. A simple yes/no e-mail is fine. Failure to notify me may affect future requests. 
  6. Advanced warning? Two weeks is ideal. Anything less can be an issue although I am sometimes persuaded. Same day requests have a way of making me very angry. 
  7. Don't be intimidated by items 1-6! I am happy and eager to help all of you with whatever pursuits you choose. Experience suggests, however, that some items should be pointed out. 
  8. Finally- these comments are good advice for engagement with ANY professor. It is critical to cultivate good relationships early on...not just so you can get a letter out of someone, but so you can learn something and get some advice, too!