A Noisy Week

Lots of pediatric infection-related meetings and reports this week, but actionable items for front-line care providers were sparse. It's not that the information wasn't interesting, but when all was said and done I couldn't come up with anything to change clinical practice. That type of noise is good, but I'll be more excited a few months from now when we might have actionable events from ongoing studies.

A 3-Day CDC Advisory Council on Immunization Practices (ACIP) Meeting

This ACIP meeting covered a lot of vaccine topics including vaccines for mpox, influenza, pneumococcus, meningococcus, polio, RSV (both pediatric/maternal and elderly adults), chikungunya, dengue, varicella, and our old friend covid. I wasn't able to view the sessions live but have reviewed many of the slides that were posted. The only vote at the meeting was to continue use of mpox vaccination pretty much as before; the rest of the meeting primarily consisted of updates. In the next few months we should be approaching some decisions particularly for RSV immunization of pregnant people to protect their newborns, long-acting monoclonal antibody treatment to prevent RSV in high-risk and/or all infants, 20-valent pneumococcal vaccines for children, and more.

With regard to RSV prevention, in the past I was struck by ACIP wording about anti-RSV monoclonal antibody therapy being labelled a "vaccine" when it really is a therapy. I now understand that the vaccine label would have made it easier to provide the intervention through the Vaccines for Children program; if it is a therapy, some infants will fall through the cracks in terms of access. AAP had a nice summary of these issues.

Pfizer presented data that they have submitted to FDA for maternal RSV immunization during pregnancy to prevent RSV in their newborns, but I won't show that data since it was only from the pharmaceutical company without separate analysis by ACIP or CDC. FDA/VRBPAC will discuss RSV vaccines for people 60 years of age and older (this also was discussed at the ACIP meeting) on February 28 and March 1, but it doesn't look like they will cover any pediatric issues at this meeting. However, if studies look good it is possible we will have new interventions to prevent RSV in young infants prior to next winter's RSV season.

Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC)

I did attend a February 23 webinar on PASC in children and adolescents hoping to see some new data, but ultimately I was disappointed. That's not to say that progress hasn't been made, but the session was mainly a review of previous data and guidelines. I did learn that risk factors for PASC in children and adolescents include age greater than 12 years, unvaccinated status, and history of allergic disease. PASC symptoms were less common in vaccinated individuals than in the unvaccinated. Here's a peek at main symptom frequencies:

It was a good review session of general evaluation and treatment options, check out the complete slide deck.

PASC is really a tough issue, likely because it is still a mixture of at least 2 different processes. One includes all the end-organ damage from the infection itself, while the other comprises more vague manifestations such as brain fog, fatigue, and dysautonomia symptoms. I've been seeing children with these conditions long before the covid era, seemingly following a wide variety of otherwise run of the mill infections. I'm hoping the intense research focused on PASC will yield something useful for the larger body of individuals affected with what has been called myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome. I dislike that term, it still sounds somewhat pejorative to my ears. Of note, the National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine is planning a series of workshops to better characterize a working definition for Long COVID.

We Still Have a Failure to Communicate

Just a quick mention of a study that reviewed US state and territory public health sites for readability and accessibility of their covid treatment information. Broadly speaking, most sites fell short of effective communication - wording too technical or at a high reading level, not helpful for individuals with communication barriers, etc. South Dakota was the best site, followed by Maine and Tennessee (would you have guessed these states coming out on top?). You might want to look at where your state scored. I'm hoping public health units see this article and work to improve their sites.

Enough Ivermectin Already?

Well, yet another study has shown no benefit of ivermectin as a covid therapy, this time using a higher dose. I was more enthralled with one of the accompanying editorials about the ethical principle of equipoise in performing clinical trials to deal with uncertainty in medicine. Simply put, it's a good idea to perform clinical trials to deal with uncertainty, but given that we always have uncertainty in medicine, when should we call it quits for these trials? Specifically, when does it become unethical to perform studies of ivermectin for covid in the hopes of finding some small niche where there might be benefit? That question has no easy answer. Ivermectin became a political pawn early in the pandemic; I fear the end result of that conflict is now wasted resources and unnecessary risks for trial subjects.

Better Data on Paxlovid Rebound

We were just talking about this last week, and now we have results of a prospective study that gives us perhaps even better data. Both viral and symptom rebound were slightly higher in the Paxlovid group compared to controls, but pretty much still in the same ballpark. For example, symptom rebound was about 14% in the treatment group and 9% in the controls. The prospective design of the study is more likely than retrospective studies to give "truer" numbers, and I think what we are seeing is that rebound is more common in untreated people than originally thought. From my viewpoint, the slight increase in rebound from Paxlovid is far outweighed by the benefit of treatment in preventing complications in high-risk individuals.

White Noise

Speaking of noise, this past week my wife and I watched Noah Bambach's adaptation of Don DeLillo's novel, White Noise. Buried somewhere in the few hundred books in our house is a copy of the novel, but neither of us could remember plot details. Fifteen minutes into the movie, we realized neither of us had ever read it!

It's an understatement to say that reviews of the movie were mixed; in fact, many were at the extremes of love or hate. This isn't surprising for a book that was said to be impossible to translate to the screen. Yes, the movie had its dragging and confusing moments, but I loved it so much that I decided to read the book. I'm almost done with it, and it's very interesting for me to see what elements Baumbach left out or changed substantially, versus other parts taken nearly verbatim from the book.

The book, written in 1985 and dealing with fears of mortality, a college professor and his family, and an "airborne toxic event," sadly translates very well to today's chaotic world. The movie was mostly true to the book's central themes, and the song and dance ending, a backdrop to the closing credits, made me smile. I'd recommend both the novel and the movie to folks who might enjoy a quirky, reflective view of modern life and be able to put up with some unevenness in presentation.