Another Week in the ID World

A few interesting items last week. I also enjoyed the CDC COCA call on Saturday - not much new stuff, but a nice summary of issues surrounding covid variants and immune escape among other topics. The recording should be posted soon. It was mostly geared towards adult care.

Tripledemic Receding

I made a great (for me) discovery of RESP-NET - I'm not sure if it is new or if I just wasn't aware of its existence, but it tracks the 3 viruses of interest all on one page. Here is the most recent view:

This is an interactive graph, note on the left side and at the top there are multiple views. The age group 5-17 years is selected here and you can see that downward trends are present for combined respiratory virus-associated hospitalizations as well as for influenza and RSV. Covid doesn't have a consistent downward trend but the recent data (which may be affected by reporting delays) also is heading down. Let's hope so.

Vaccine Coverage

CDC just started reporting covid vaccine rates for children under 5 years of age. It's not pretty and is similar for all ages.

Again, this is an interactive graph, so you can look at rates by sex and age.

A Brief Word on Variants

Here is the latest. Also, I may not have mentioned this before, but if you look at the top right the NOWCAST designation for the past 3 weeks indicates this is a forecast, not based on data collected those specific weeks. The variant data always have a lag time to allow time for sequencing to be performed. For example, the latest actual data we have on this graph is for the week ending December 31, 2022.

Are you starting to get too confused about variant nomenclature? I am. As a quick review, the original omicron variant that appeared in 2021 was BA.1. In January 2022 it was mostly replaced by BA.2. Subsequently we've seen new omicron lineage variants labelled BA.3, BA.4, BA.5, and XE.

The variants taking over in the US now are labelled XBB and BQ.1 and are descended from the BA.5 sublineage. (XBB is a recombinant of BA.2.10.1 and BA.2.75 sublineages, not to confuse you more.) XBB has a high level of immune escape (i.e. immunity from vaccines and prior infection is lessened and current monoclonal antibody therapies are less effective) and also probably enhanced binding to the ACE2 receptor on our cells.

On the other hand, it appears that BF.7 is circulating now in China - this is a sublineage of BA.5 that hasn't taken off in the rest of the world so far.

Wastewater

Wastewater is a very important source of data on what variants are active and when we might see covid surges. Unfortunately I don't think the CDC data presentations for wastewater are very helpful, and the data sources are scattered sporadically throughout the country. This is because reporting has been on a voluntary basis; if you live in a blue state area, you have a better chance of early alerts from wastewater testing. Several national agencies are working on a better network for wastewater testing, but the legal and ethical issues are significant. For example, one could also choose to test collection sites for drugs of abuse and then target police actions to a specific region - those working on a better process want to restrict wastewater testing to just public health uses that do not stigmatize or otherwise target communities for other reasons. I attended a nice summary of the situation provided by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM) which is studying the issue and has produced a preliminary report.

Is My Spice Rack Going to Kill Me?

No, but the closest I come to hoarding behavior is my spice armamentarium. I did a quick count and noted 105 unique spices in my kitchen cupboard, and that doesn't count the maybe 40 or so extra large bags plus maybe 6 different kinds of salt I have on hand.

Last week the lay press picked up on a study that first appeared last September. It looked at contamination rates for people making turkey patties and lettuce salad. The participants were told they were evaluating new recipes, but in fact the turkey meat was laced with a harmless bacteriophage that was then tracked to see where it ended up after the food preparation. It turned out the spice jars were a prime source of contamination. The study didn't seem to address the amount of contamination, but at least it should serve as a good reminder that hand and dish washing during food preparation should be thorough.

I don't plan to wash all of my spice jars, as you might imagine I'm a stickler for food hygiene when I'm cooking!

Fear the Snail

Well, not really. But a recent issue of the Journal of Infectious Diseases reported new trematodes found to be carried by snails in California and elsewhere. These agents have the potential to infect humans, with transmission most likely in a manner seen with angiostrongyliasis in Hawaii. Bottom line, don't eat raw snails on a dare (yes, some people have done this and become infected), and make sure your produce is washed well - you never know when a snail has slimed its way across that piece of lettuce.

Looking Forward to This Week

CDC will release new guidelines for covid testing that will likely de-emphasize routine screening of asymptomatic individuals. The draft is being reviewed now, so expect something fairly soon, perhaps this week.

Also, FDA/VRBPAC will meet on January 26 to start planning covid vaccine strategy going forward. As of today (January 22) the agenda still has not been posted but "the discussion will include consideration of the composition and schedule of the primary series and booster vaccinations" for covid vaccines. I plan to listen in though I don't expect any final decision to be made at this meeting.